The standing committees of ISONG play a vital role in the direction, leadership, and success of our association. Committee involvement is also a wonderful opportunity for ISONG colleagues to share their expertise as well as engage with other members. We hope you will contact the chairperson(s) of a committee to see how you can give your time and talent to ISONG while promoting our association's values and ideals.
Awards, Bylaws and Nominations Committee
The Awards Committee solicits and reviews nominations from the membership for the Founder Awards prior to each annual meeting. The committee will select the award recipients by consensus. Recipients will receive the awards at the annual meeting. Members include a past award recipient and the chairperson or a representative of the Membership Committee.
The By-laws Committee considers and recommends any changes or amendments in either the Articles of Incorporation or the Bylaws.
The primary role of the Nominating Committee is to encourage ISONG members to run for leadership positions. Networking with ISONG friends and colleagues who could be a strong candidate is a key responsibility. The goals of this committee are to:
- Solicit candidates for board positions.
- Develop content about leadership positions to post on the ISONG web site.
- Develop information and candidate application packages to disseminate to interested persons.
This committee is chaired by the Past President.
The Communications Committee disseminates information to the membership on all aspects of the organization and other relevant issues by:
- Providing information to Society members using Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn and other social media as appropriate
- Presenting world perspective news or insights on issues for nurses in genetics worldwide
- Producing a monthly electronic update for members
- Updating and maintaining information on the ISONG web site with a designated website editor
- Encouraging the Board and other committees to share information pertinent to ISONG membership
The Congress Committee provides the Society with an annual education program at the ISONG Congress. This includes obtaining financing and continuing education credits for the Program. The chairperson serves a two-year term commencing two years prior to the annual program.
The Development Committee facilitates outreach to community organizations, educational institutions, associations and businesses to support ISONG's mission. This includes building relationships with schools of nursing, collaborating with agencies to foster new initiatives, and promoting sponsorship of professional and public education related to genetics and genomics.
The Education Committee promotes the education goals of the Society by advocating for and supporting genetic/genomic education of all professional nurses. This is done by assembling and maintaining education resources and making them available to ISONG members and others.
Ethical Issues and Public Policy Committee
The Ethical Issues and Public Policy Committee evaluates scientific and political changes which require a response by the Society. They recommend and establish criteria, with approval by the Board of Directors, for such evaluation. The Committee does not provide verbal or written opinions on political or scientific issues without the approval of the Board of Directors.
Global Membership Committee
The Global Membership Committee proposes and addresses plans for recruitment of new members, as well as retention and engagement of existing members. It identifies, recommends, and implements activities to increase membership by:
- Publicizing the organization to attract new members
- Facilitating potential members in joining the Society
- Publicizing the achievements of members
- Maximizing retention of members
Professional Practice Committee
The Professional Practice Committee addresses issues related to clinical genetics/genomics nursing practice that are relevant to ISONG membership by:
- Creating and updating information describing genetics/genomics nursing practice (such as the What is a genetics nurse? Brochure) posted on the ISONG web site
- Participating in the development, interpretation, evaluation, and dissemination of Genetics and Genomics Nursing Scope and Standards of Practice
- Supporting and helping to facilitate special interest groups within ISONG
- Collaborating with the ISONG President, Board, and other ISONG committees in defining genetics and genomics nursing practice
The Research Committee fosters research activities in nursing, genetics, and related areas to enhance professional and personal development of members by:
- Raising awareness of the role of research within ISONG's core business
- Alerting members to research opportunities (funding, collaboration among members)
- Administering the ISONG annual grant award through an equitable and efficient process.
- Disseminating news of research to key stakeholders (members, patients, other professionals)